What Is Sclerotherapy: treatment of spider veins on your legs:
Performed on an outpatient basis, sclerotherapy involves the injection of a sclerosing solution called Sotradecol into the dilated vessels. This causes the lining of the vessels to swell and close, resulting in both a lighter color and improvement in the appearance of the vessels. In many cases, the veins can be completely eliminated.
Pre- treatment recommendations:
Avoid blood thinners such as: aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, vitamin E, gingko balboa, and garlic 1-2 weeks prior to your treatment. Arrive to your appointment with clean legs. Avoid using lotion and cream before your treatment.
- Do not use cream, oil or lotion on your legs for 24 hours prior to treatment.
- Please remember to bring your compression stockings to each visit. You will put these on before going home, immediately following treatment. At least 18-20 mmHG pressure which you can find at the drug store. Preferable 20-30 mmHG pressure which you can find at a medical supply store.
- Avoid strenuous activities, such as high impact aerobics, running, jumping, or lifting anything over 50lbs while wearing your stockings. Stay active and walk as much as possible after treatments. The more you walk the better your legs will feel.
- No direct sun exposure to treated area for 6 weeks. Avoid tanning beds.
- Compression hose need to be worn continuously for 24 hours (sleep in them and no shower). After 24 hours, the hose need to be worn for three days during the day. You may take them off for bed and showers.
- Take Tylenol or Motrin for any aching or discomfort that you feel after treatment.
- Please note: it is normal to see bruising and feel hard, lumpy and tender areas on your legs. This means your treatment worked and the vein is starting to sclerose. Final results may take up to six months, and you may need multiple treatments. Remember your legs will look worse before they look better.
Phlebitis: an inflammation or a vein due to irritation from treatment or injury. Treatment included wearing your compression stockings for 4-5 days during the day, Ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours with food. Do not exceed 2400mg in 24 hours. Moist heat to area for 15-20 mins 4 times per day, stay active, elevate leg above heart when resting, notify my at 508-746-5300.
Please call me with any questions you may have. Katie Bishop, NP 508-746-5300